Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Homemade granola

Every week I make this granola. The recipe came to us soon after the Rutabaga was diagnosed with food allergies and it has been a staple of his lunch every day since. By now the recipe is comfortable and familiar, like a favorite pair of jeans. Its taste is sweet, yet it is high in fat and full of protein. It travels everywhere with us. Usually I make it on Tuesday nights and, then while it's baking, call my high school best friend to catch up on the week's news.



Nomnomnom those crunchy bits on top.

Notes about the recipe:

The recipe calls for maple syrup or honey. Either are delicious. Recently I've been using half honey half maple syrup and getting the best of both. I also replace the wax paper with a silpat and cook it for 35 minutes. If you have time to put it in the fridge over night it will harden up. Then I find it is possible to break it into small bits. Otherwise, if left at room temperature the granola will be crumbly, which is perfect for yogurt topping but so easy for toddlers' pincher grasps.


No comments:

Post a Comment