Monday, June 17, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

I made this last night.


Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. Yum! Strawberries were from Kimball Fruit Farm, as was the rhubarb. It was the first canning of the season. In talking to someone recently, they responded back to me - sounds like canning is your meditation. Yes, actually that is a very apt description. I love the concentration that canning takes, and yet the simplicity of it. In addition to the fact that you are the saving of the fruits of the season to savor later in the year. The recipe was from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. I am curious to explore some lower sugar jams. This recipe called for 2 cups crushed strawberries, 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb and 5 1/2 cups sugar. I thought the sugar might not actually dissolve into the fruit, but it did. It tastes good. A nice balance of the tart rhubarb with the sweet from the sugar. However, it's almost too sweet for me. Either way, the canning season has begun again. Breathe. Ommmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment